[lttng-dev] Building the Babeltrace-Libary for Windows?

Michael Jeanson mjeanson at efficios.com
Fri Nov 3 10:21:21 EDT 2023

On 2023-11-03 07 h 48, Seidl, Aron via lttng-dev wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> after it was finally possible to debug Babeltrace properly, I step onto
> a next problem.
>
> I apologize in advance, but I’m new to Linux development and even more
> to cross compiling.
>
> Is it even possible to compile libbabeltrace for Windows and I have to
> dig deeper, trying to understand it better, or did I just waste 3 days
> of my life trying the impossible?
>
> Maybe you guys know a little more.
>
> FYI: I installed every Mingw-package on my machine, and I try to
> configure the project as follows:
>
> ./configure --prefix=$PWD/install --host=x86_64-w64-mingw64
> --enable-built-in-plugins --enable-static --disable-shared
>
> The configure-phase runs well, but the make process fails.
>
> I hope it is the last time I have to ask you some questions. I wish you
> a great weekend!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Aron

Hi,

It should be technically possible to cross-compile babeltrace2 with
Mingw on Linux but it was never tested, so a lot a small fixes to the
build system might be required.

What is tested however is building with Mingw in an MSYS2 [1]
environment on a Windows host. You can have a look at the CI job [2] for
the details, the configuration including the build script is publicly
readable in "View Configuration".

Cheers,

Michael

[1] https://www.msys2.org/