[lttng-dev] Status of LTTng-scope and Lttng-analyses

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Wed Jul 19 10:09:12 EDT 2023

On 7/18/23 15:27, Cook, Layne via lttng-dev wrote:
> Can you tell me the status of the beta projects listed on the web site?
>
> LTTng scope
> LTTng analyses
>
> The github projects haven't had an activity for quite a while. Have
> these projects been abandoned, or superceded by something else?

Hi Layne,

Thanks for your interest in those projects!

The LTTng scope beta project was an attempt at doing a significant UX
redesign of Trace Compass, starting from a use-cases/user workflow
perspective. We currently don't have the resources/funding/staff to
work on this project further, so it has not progressed for a while.

You should look at the Trace Compass and VSCode trace extension
projects instead, which have a lot more activity:

https://tracecompass.org
https://github.com/eclipse-cdt-cloud/vscode-trace-extension

The LTTng analyses beta project is a set of python scripts to analyze
LTTng traces. Our original intent with that project was that EfficiOS
would fund the work to create those analyses as prototypes in Python,
and eventually customers would fund the rather large amount of work
required to go from a prototype (slow scripts) to a production quality
project (faster C++ implementation, generic state tracking module).
Unfortunately, this never materialized, so this beta project has been
on the back burner as well.

In the recent years we have focused our efforts on the Babeltrace 2
project and on CTF2 (Common Trace Format version 2).

Feel free to have a look at Trace Compass and VSCode trace extension, and
please let us know if LTTng scope and LTTng analyses fill a gap that is
not covered by those other tools.

https://www.efficios.com