[ltt-dev] Code clean?

Pierre-Marc Fournier pierre-marc.fournier at polymtl.ca
Tue Jun 1 11:36:07 EDT 2010

On 06/01/2010 03:14 AM, Nils Carlson wrote:
> Just wondering about of the amount of commented out LTTng code in UST. Is
> there any plan on cleaning it out or should it be kept around a while
> longer? If LTTng experiences big changes, will we try to keep UST updated
> to those changes or will we allow the code bases to diverge?

The majority of the commented LTTng-kt code has been removed but yes,
there are some parts of it still remaining and commented. Code tends to
be removed when it becomes obvious that it would not be useful in
userspace. Of course commented code is ugly and we want to keep it only
if it makes things significantly simpler.

I would welcome patches that remove LTTng-kt commented code. After a
quick look, I see there are some things, in partilar in marker.c,
marker-control.c and tracepoint.c, that will obviously never be useful.

As for improvements that are done in LTTng-kt, the decision to port them
to UST has been made on a case-by-case basis in the past. LTTng-kt has
been doing a lot of contortions recently to try to find a compromise for
kernel merging. Trying to follow that would require a lot of energy. I
tend to prefer to wait until things settle and then talk about what can
be ported from LTTng-kt to UST. In any case, there is already
significant divergence.

pmf