[lttng-dev] loading modules with modprobe

François Belias beliasossim at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 15:01:19 EDT 2024

Hello Kienan,

I've continued investigating my issue and discovered something new that
might shed some light. Here's the rundown:

1. To ensure my add-ons weren't causing problems, deleted all old modules
and I followed the documentation on the LTTng website (
https://lttng.org/docs/v2.13/#doc-building-from-source) and downloaded
`lttng-modules-2.13.13`.

2. Inside the downloaded folder, I successfully executed `make
KERNELDIR=/usr/src/linux-source-6.5.0` without any issues.

3. Subsequently, I ran `make KERNELDIR=/usr/src/linux-source-6.5.0
modules_install`, which also completed successfully.

4. After that, I updated the module dependencies using `sudo depmod -a`,
which went fine.

However, when I tried to load a module, such as `sudo modprobe
lttng-probe-kvm`, it reported that the module couldn't be found at
`/lib/modules/6.5.0-41-generic/`. Upon checking the logs, I confirmed that
step 3 had installed the modules in `/lib/modules/6.5.0/`.

To address this, I modified step 3 to simply `make modules_install`, which
then installed the modules correctly at `/lib/modules/6.5.0-41-generic/`
and ran again step 4. But now, when attempting to load a module, I'm
encountering the error `modprobe: ERROR: could not insert
'lttng_probe_kvm': Exec format error`.

Do you have any insights or ideas on what might be causing this issue?

Thanks again for your assistance.