[lttng-dev] delay between trigger and action

Jérémie Galarneau jgalar at efficios.com
Tue May 23 10:51:44 EDT 2023

Hi Yehuda,

The trigger mechanism is asynchroneous. The applications (or the kernel) won't block until the session daemon has processed the actions of the trigger.

As such, it is likely that you will lose events between the moment the trigger is triggered and when the session is started.

We have been considering implementing synchroneous start/stop actions, but no one has sponsored that work for the moment.

In your case, a work-around you could consider is to:

  *   setup a snapshot session with the same events
  *   set the trigger's actions to record a snapshot on that session, and start your existing session

In that setup, you would most likely see the events that led to the "start" (since they are captured in the in-memory buffers of the snapshot session), and you would capture the follow-up events in the on-disk session.

I hope that helps,
Jérémie

--
Jérémie Galarneau