[lttng-dev] how to disable local file writing in relayd?

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Wed Mar 8 09:45:01 EST 2023

On 2023-03-06 00:12, Yuan Bin via lttng-dev wrote:
>   Can I disable local-file-writing in lttng-relayd to avoid the disk
> space overhead, only using it as a live viewer?

Not explicitly, but you can store your temporary files on a tmpfs file
system (see lttng-relayd(8) --output command line parameter), which will
only keep the relayd files in memory, and use the tracefile rotation
feature to prevent the files from growing forever, e.g.:

https://lttng.org/docs/v2.13/#doc-enabling-disabling-channels

Example:Create a Linux kernel channel which rotates eight trace files of
4 MiB each for each stream.

lttng enable-channel --kernel --tracefile-count=8 \
                      --tracefile-size=4194304 my-channel

See lttng-enable-channel(1) for more info.

I hope this helps!

https://www.efficios.com