[lttng-dev] babeltrace2 python api related question

Philippe Proulx eeppeliteloop at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 16:29:51 EDT 2022

On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 4:48 AM zenan <dantefu9001 at 163.com> wrote:

> In command line, I use “babeltrace2 net://somehost/some-session” to read live lttng session trace, and I want to use python bindings to do the same, is it possible?
>
> here is my code:

Almost there.

Some `src.ctf.lttng-live` component and message iterator methods may
return a "try again" status code (I don't remember exactly under which
circumstances). This propagates to bt_graph_run() [1] (in C) eventually
which itself returns `BT_GRAPH_RUN_STATUS_AGAIN`. The Python
bt2.Graph.run() method translates this status code to throwing
`bt2.TryAgain`.

Just catch those `bt2.TryAgain`, wait a bit, and call `graph.run()`
again:

    # Run the trace processing graph.
    while True:
        try:
            graph.run()
        except bt2.TryAgain:
            time.sleep(.1)

Works for me.

If you ever need to access the messages themselves instead of forwarding
them to a `sink.text.pretty` component, then use a
`bt2.TraceCollectionMessageIterator` instance [2].

Hope it helps,

Phil

[1]: https://babeltrace.org/docs/v2.0/libbabeltrace2/group__api-graph.html#gad2e1c1ab20d1400af1b552e70b3d567c
[2]: https://babeltrace.org/docs/v2.0/python/bt2/examples.html#iterate-trace-events