[lttng-dev] Lttng live protocol

Mayur Patel mayur.patel at disguise.one
Wed Sep 1 13:23:33 EDT 2021

Hi there,

I am currently evaluating the use of CTF and lttng tooling for application
tracing on windows. We are exploring alternatives to ETW that are more
customisable.
One thing we would really like to do is real-time monitoring of our
application from another machine. I have a few questions regarding this:

1. Is lttng live protocol suitable for this purpose? What kind of latency
would we expect? (e.g 10s or 100s of milliseconds or more)
2. Is the protocol documented?
3. Is it possible to use lttng-relayd to read from local CTF log files
(which are being written to) and stream events to other machines / a viewer
on the same machine? The reason I ask this is the documentation seems
suggests lttng-relayd can consume CTF files
https://lttng.org/docs/v2.13/#doc-lttng-relayd.
4. I see there is a windows cygwin build on jenkins. Would you recommend
this for production use?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mayur