[lttng-dev] LTTng - Xenomai : different results between timestamp-lttng and rt_time_read()

Jan Kiszka jan.kiszka at siemens.com
Thu May 20 11:34:52 EDT 2021

On 20.05.21 17:09, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> ----- On May 20, 2021, at 9:56 AM, Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com wrote:
>
>> ----- On May 20, 2021, at 9:54 AM, lttng-dev lttng-dev at lists.lttng.org wrote:

>>> Just one clarification: the specific locking strategy used by the
>>> Linux kernel monotonic clock vDSO is a "seqlock", where the kernel
>>> sets a bit which keeps concurrent readers looping until they observe
>>
>> When I say "sets a bit", I actually mean "increment a sequence counter",
>> and readers observe either odd or even state, thus knowing whether
>> they need to retry, and whether the value read before/after reading
>> the data structure changed.
>
> Looking again at the Linux kernel's kernel/time/vsyscall.c implementation
> of vdso_update_{begin,end}, I notice that interrupts are disabled across
> the entire update. So I understand that the Interrupt pipeline (I-pipe)
> interrupt gets delivered even when the kernel disables interrupts. Did
> you consider modifying the I-pipe kernel patch to change the vdso update so
> it updates the vdso from within an I-pipe virq handler ?
>
> AFAIU this would allow Xenomai userspace to use the Linux kernel vDSO
> clock sources.

In fact, this is what happens with upcoming Xenomai 3.2, based on the
Dovetail kernel patch (replacement of I-pipe). Implies kernel 5.10.

For I-pipe, we have the CLOCK_HOST_REALTIME infrastructure to obtain the
kernel's view on CLOCK_REALTIME from within an Xenomai task. That is
available up to kernel 5.4.

HTH,
Jan

--