[lttng-dev] reading context fields causes syscalls

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Thu May 20 10:15:34 EDT 2021

----- On May 20, 2021, at 9:42 AM, Norbert Lange nolange79 at gmail.com wrote:

> Am Do., 20. Mai 2021 um 15:28 Uhr schrieb Mathieu Desnoyers
> <mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com>:
>>
>> ----- On May 20, 2021, at 8:46 AM, Norbert Lange nolange79 at gmail.com wrote:

>> > Yeah, just figured that it doesnt help at all if I do a tracepoint, as
>> > it might just be disabled ;)
>> > lttng_ust_init_thread() sounds right for that, maybe add one or 2 arguments for
>> > stuff you want initialized / dont want initialized over the default.
>> >
>> > I take that the downside of eager initialization is potentially wasted
>> > resources (now ignoring any one-time runtime cost).
>>
>> I would not want to introduce too much coupling between the application and
>> the tracer though. The public API I've added for the 2.13 release cycle takes
>> no argument, and I'm not considering changing that at this stage (we are already
>> at -rc2, so we're past the API freeze).
>
> Ok, figured if that's preferred then nows the last chance

Actually I did an exception between rc1 and rc2 when I changed the probe provider's
API and ABI, but I don't expect to do any more breaking API/ABI changes onwards.
We have customers now using rc2 as a stable baseline, and I need a really strong
argument to break ABI at this stage.

Adding features to lttng_ust_init_thread() does not fit in that category. This should
have happened before -rc1 if we wished to do that.

>> I'd be open to adding an extra API with a different purpose though. Currently
>> lttng_ust_init_thread is meant to initialize per-thread data structures for
>> tracing signal handlers.
>>
>> Your use-case is different: you aim at tracing from a context which cannot
>> issue system calls. Basically, any attempt to issue a system call from that
>> thread after this is a no-go. I would be tempted to introduce something like
>> "lttng_ust_{set,clear}_thread_no_syscall" or such, which would have the
>> following
>> effects when set:
>
> No systemcalls and no clock_gettime().

Right, no clock_gettime because of the seqlock.

>> * Force immediate initialization of all thread's cached context information,
>
> Definitely needed (adding context is often needed I guess)

Yes, although there are other contexts like the perf counters which fallback to
system calls when direct access to the performance counter registers is not
available from user-space. I wonder whether we want to somehow manage this
or require that the user knows not to use those in the wrong context.

>> * Set a TLS variable flag indicating that the tracer should not do any system
>>   call whatsoever. The tracer could either use dummy data (zeroes), log an error,
>>   or abort() the process if a thread in no_syscall mode attempts to issue a system
>>   call. This could be dynamically selected by a new environment variable.
>
> How this works is than Xenomai will generate a synchronous signal,
> which as default aborts. So fallbacks are nice, but error handling
> isn't necessary.

Ah ok good, one less thing to worry about on lttng's side then.

> Somewhat offtopic, but why is lltng not using __thread for TLS access,
> usually I only see this for really old stuff?

LTTng-UST works on BSDs, Mac, Cygwin, Solaris and so forth. So we use liburcu's
"tls-compat" compatibility layer for TLS, which uses __thread whenever it's
available in the toochain, else it falls back on pthread keys.

>> * Prevent threads in no_syscall mode from calling the write() system call on
>>   sub-buffer switch (of course the read-timer channel option is preferred).
>
> Yeah, that was part of the last discussion. What would happen without
> write notification?
> Bufferstate is polled elsewhere too, or will it just be full forever?

Unless the "read-timer" option is set for the channel, the buffer will stay
in full state and the consumer won't attempt to read it.

> Come to think of it, maybe it would be better to add some form of
> "tags" to software,
> (like a defined symbol or ELF .note section) which could prevent
> processes to be traced
> if in the wrong mode (no read-timer), or change what work the
> lttng_ust_init_thread function
> does.

Yes, I suspect those ideas are in the right direction. However, I wonder
how we would deal with different order of:

- dlopen of a .so which has this tag,
- creation of the thread,
- creation of the lttng-ust tracing session and channel setup.

Considering that those 3 steps may happen in any order.