[lttng-dev] lttng live event loss with babeltrace2

Eqbal eqbalzee at gmail.com
Mon May 3 20:05:10 EDT 2021

Hi,

I have a lttng live session trace consumer application using libbabeltrace2
where I create a graph to consume lttng live session traces and output to
another sink. I am running the graph in a loop at some polling interval as
long as I get BT_GRAPH_RUN_STATUS_AGAIN status. What I am noticing is that
if my polling interval is large enough I tend to lose either all or some of
the events. I experimented with various polling intervals and it seems if
the polling interval is less than *DELAYUS *from "lttng-create
--live=DELAYUS" option then I am able to get all the events, otherwise I
tend to lose events.

Here are the steps I follow:
1. start session daemon and relay daemon
2. create a live session (with default delay of 1s), enable events and start
3. Start my application (hello world example from lttng docs)
4. Start the consumer application built using libbabeltrace that connects
to the live session

I noticed that the events are actually persisted in the ~/lttng-traces by
the relay daemon, but it does not reach babeltrace consumer application. I
have noticed the same behavior with babeltrace2 cli.

I would like to understand what is the reason for such behavior and if
playing with the polling interval in relation to the DELAYUS value is the
right thing to do.

Thanks,
Eqbal