[lttng-dev] Question about rotating session limitations

Kramer, Zach Zach.Kramer at cognex.com
Fri Aug 13 03:28:14 EDT 2021

Hello,

On https://lttng.org/man/1/lttng-rotate/v2.12/ one of the limitations is listed as:

The lttng rotate command only works when:

·         No channel was created with a configured trace file count or size limit (see the --tracefile-size and --tracefile-count options in lttng-enable-channel(1)<https://lttng.org/man/1/lttng-enable-channel/v2.12>).
However on v2.12.1 I am able to:

  1.  Create a userspace session
  2.  Create a channel w/ configured trace file count and size limit
  3.  Start tracing
  4.  lttng rotate

Within each chunk these restrictions are respected.

Therefore my question is what does this limitation actually mean? Is it more so in the direction that the archives will not respect these limits because the chunks accumulate? Or am I missing the point entirely?

Thanks,
Zach