[lttng-dev] Capturing User-Level Function Calls/Returns

ahmadkhorrami ahmadkhorrami at ut.ac.ir
Thu Jul 16 12:07:13 EDT 2020

Hi Namhyung,
This seems really interesting and is what I am looking for. Can it
capture all function entries/exits? I mean does it fully handle variable
instruction sizes in dynamic mode?
In any case, thanks! and I hope that it becomes stable as soon as
possible, so that everyone can use it.
Regards.

On 2020-07-16 05:34, Namhyung Kim wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 3:28 AM Steven Rostedt <rostedt at goodmis.org>
> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 20:37:16 +0430
> ahmadkhorrami <ahmadkhorrami at ut.ac.ir> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> What is the most efficient way to capture occurrence of a function
> call/return of a binary program in userspace?
> It seems the answer is Uprobes. 1) Am I right?
> But Uprobes use "int" instruction which leads to a switch into kernel
> mode. 2) Wouldn't it be better to avoid this transition?
> I'm looking forward to your reply and will be happy to read your
> opinions.
> Regards.
>
> Hi, I believe LTTng has utilities that can help you trace user space
> programs.
>
> I think there's also a users ftrace like utility that Namhyung was
> working on. But I don't know where in the development that is.

It's in https://github.com/namhyung/uftrace

Basically it also requires recompilation to add mcount calls for each
function.
But it now also supports dynamic tracing without any recompilation.. :)
It's still experimental and has some limitation, but the idea is to copy
first 5 bytes (on x86_64) somewhere and replace it to a call
instruction.

Thanks
Namhyung