[lttng-dev] Capturing User-Level Function Calls/Returns

Michel Dagenais michel.dagenais at polymtl.ca
Wed Jul 15 21:06:01 EDT 2020

> Without recompiling, how would that be implemented?

As you mentioned, this is possible when "jump patching" 5 bytes instructions. Fast tracepoints in GDB and in kprobe do it. Kprobe goes further and patches sequences of instructions (because the target instruction is less than 5 bytes) if there is no incoming branch into the middle of the sequence. You can go even further, for instance using 3 bytes jumps to a trampoline installed in alignment nops. If you combine different strategies like this, you can eventually reach almost 100% success rate for "jump patching" tracepoints. This gets quite hairy though. However, the short story is that there is currently no tool as far as I know that does that easily and reliably in user space.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/spe.2746
https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/3062341.3062344

If you can afford a more invasive tool, that requires a lot of memory and stops your application for quite some time, you can look at approaches like dyninst that decompile the binary, insert instrumentation code and reassemble the code.

https://dyninst.org/