[lttng-dev] tracepoint_enabled returns true for disabled provider, event

Anders Johansson epkboan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 08:42:22 EDT 2019

Hi

I troubleshooting a huge application where i experience the problem that
even if tracepoint_enabled is used i get the huge overhead of formatting
the output even if then the message is not sent to the lttng buffers.

The tracepoint loglevel is set to TRACE_INFO using the TRACEPOINT_LOGLEVEL
macro. I managed to rebuild the application setting the level to
TRACE_DEBUG instead and then i could print continuously that the
tracepoint_enabled returned false. If i flip it back to TRACE_INFO
tracepoint_enabled always returns true, hence do lots of string building
but then no trace is actually sent off to lttng (which is correct since i
haven't enabled the tracepoint). Even if i explicitly do disable event on
the provider and tracepoint the TRACE_INFO tracepoints returns true in
tracepoint_enabled

Is this by design that tracepoint_enabled always returns true for
TRACE_INFO and lower values or is this configurable in any way?

I am using this inside a docker image running Wind River Linux
bash-4.3# lttng --version
lttng (LTTng Trace Control) 2.10.6 - KeKriek - v2.10.6-11-g8fcbf96
bash-4.3#

Any advice are welcome!
//Anders