[lttng-dev] Using lttng-ust with xenomai

Norbert Lange nolange79 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 16:27:18 EST 2019

> >> Can a Xenomai thread issue clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC) ?
> >
> > Yes it can, if the calls goes through the VDSO, then it mostly works.
> > And once in a while deadlocks the system if a Xenomai thread waits for a
> > spinlock that the Linux kernel owns and doesnt give back as said thread will
> > not let the Linux Kernel run (as described above).
>
> Ah, yes, read seqlock can be tricky in that kind of scenario indeed.
>
> Then what we'd need is the nmi-safe monotonic clock that went into the
> Linux kernel a while ago. It's called "monotonic fast", but really what
> it does is to remove the need to use a read-seqlock. AFAIK it's not
> exposed through the vDSO at the moment though.

An easy to use, consistent clock between Linux and Xenomai? Should be
the ultimate goal.
But I think its way less intrusive to just make the existing vDSO read/writes
safe by using the same scheme of atomic modification-count +
alternating buffers.

The vDSO is weird anyway, CLOCK_MONOTONIC_RAW was missing for a long
time (or still is?).

Norbert