[lttng-dev] Need help in converting trace data into CTF

Ravindra Kumar Meena rmeena840 at gmail.com
Wed May 29 12:19:03 EDT 2019

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 12:22 AM Mathieu Desnoyers <
mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com> wrote:

> ----- On May 16, 2019, at 1:42 AM, Ravindra Kumar Meena
> rmeena840 at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Hi LTTng developers,
> > I have been selected at GSoC 2019 with organization RTEMs. My project is
> [
> > https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3696 |
> https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3696 ]
>
> > The objective of the project is to convert the trace data into CTF. The
> trace
> > data is already generated by the system. All that is left is to convert
> the
> > trace data into CTF. I am interested in CTF because I want to send it to
> trace
> > compass for analysis.
>
> > Any idea how can I achieve this?
>
> If you intend to produce CTF traces natively from the target, you will
> want to
> look into the barectf project [1].
>
> However, if your goal is to do a post-processing phase to convert traces
> from
> some existing format to CTF, you will want to look into the Babeltrace
> project [2]
> master branch which is in preparation for Babeltrace 2.0. The approach here
> would be to create a Babeltrace 2 source plugin which reads your trace
> format into
> the Babeltrace 2 intermediate representation by using the APIs exposed to
> plugins by Babeltrace 2. Babeltrace 2 has a generic CTF sink which can
> serialize
> the resulting trace intermediate representation into CTF.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mathieu
>
> [1] https://github.com/efficios/barectf
> [2] https://diamon.org/babeltrace/
>
> Thanks, Mathieu for the approach. I am trying to use the babeltrace and I
read its documentation and but I nowhere found the examples of conversion
from one format to CTF.

The examples would make it more clear.

Is it possible to convert the live trace stream into CTF stream with the
current babeltrace?

Thanks

--
*Ravindra Kumar Meena*,
B. Tech. Computer Science and Engineering,