[lttng-dev] [tracecompass-dev] Scalability

Bernd Hufmann bernd.hufmann at ericsson.com
Tue Mar 12 11:57:18 EDT 2019

Hi Doug

Great to see your interest this area.

>> BTW, my focus on libbabeltrace is to allow for a full range of tooling for our users using the language of their choice. The python binding is particularly interesting. As we move forward into the new world of IDEs, I can see a node.js binding being interesting as well. And it may even make sense to use it in Java tooling like TraceCompass using JNA. That's the vision at least, but first, baby steps ☺.

For the integration with Trace Compass in Eclipse, we chose to implement a CTF parser in Java to avoid using JNI/JNA to libbabeltrace. This was for performance reasons over JNI/JNA interface. We had implemented that at the beginning when Trace Compass supported LTTng version 0.x (prior CTF) and the performance was not sufficient enough.

For the integration in next generation IDEs, we are working on defining a Trace Server Protocol (TSP) as an interface between a client and server for exchanging of trace date for visualization purposes. It’s a similar idea as the LSP (Language Server Protocol) or DAP (Debug Server protocol). The TSP interface is on a higher level than what a trace reading interface like the CTF trace reader in Java or over your suggested JNA interface over libbabeltrace would provide.

We have some promising results for a Typescript front-end based on the next generation IDE Theia that uses the TSP to a trace server using Trace Compass core features as backend. We can already visualize various Trace Compass views. It’s still preliminary, but we could demo it if you’re interested.

BR
Bernd