[lttng-dev] Tracing directly into shared memory

Schickentanz, Thomas thomas.schickentanz at harman.com
Tue Mar 5 04:43:15 EST 2019

Hi Mathieu,

Thanks for clarifying the restrictions of ‘shm-path’ option!
Our purpose is to use exclusively reserved memory for tracing. Our customers request a certain amount of free memory on the system for future development. In development stage chunks of this “free” memory are grabbed by the applications and tracing lacks memory. We want to allocate this “free” memory in an early boot stage to ensure that we get the amount of memory we need for tracing. E.g. if we have reserved 512 Mbyte of memory, we know that we can start lttng at a later point of time with 16 buffers of 4 Mbyte on a 8 core system. But this works only, if we can provide the previously reserved memory to lttng for buffer allocation.
Is there some general concern about using POSIX shared memory for buffers in kernel tracing mode (apart from performance reasons)?

I used lttng-crash only for testing, because I wanted to verify, if tracing data is available from provided shared memory. If this is ensured, I agree with you, that ‘lttng snapshot’ can do the work.

Regards,
Thomas