[lttng-dev] gcc plugin for instrumenting individual functions

Christophe Bédard bedard.christophe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 10:05:15 EDT 2019

Hi,

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 at 21:23, Jonathan Rajotte-Julien <
jonathan.rajotte-julien at efficios.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For those at home wondering why this would be relevant to lttng,
> lttng-ust comes with a utility shared object allowing you to leverage the
> -finstrument-function sites to hook lttng tracepoints [1].
>
> [1] https://lttng.org/man/3/lttng-ust-cyg-profile/v2.10/

Thank you for providing some context!

> Thanks Christophe for this contribution.
>
> Do you know why GCC does not support this out of the box?

I'm not sure. I looked at the the relevant parts of the gcc codebase, and
came to the conclusion that it just wasn't written with this feature in
mind (which is why the plugin uses a sort of workaround).

Is this something that
> could be presented to the GCC community?

If people think it should be presented!

Christophe