[lttng-dev] how to become tracing group member

Jonathan Rajotte-Julien jonathan.rajotte-julien at efficios.com
Fri Jan 25 10:08:10 EST 2019

Please keep interaction on the mailing list.

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 09:13:44AM +0530, Urmila R wrote:
> Hello
>
> To run session daemon as a root  one should be member of tracing group
> is it mandatory ?

To perform kernel tracing, lttng-sessiond daemon MUST be run as root since
it must load kernel modules.

Now to interact with and control a kernel tracing session one must be part of
the "tracing" group or be root.

> if it is can u let me know how to become tracing group member.

Again, from the doc [1]:

"The default tracing group name is *tracing*; you can set it to something else with the --group option when you start the root session daemon."

[1] https://lttng.org/docs/v2.10/#doc-start-sessiond

At this point you can google:
    how to create group on linux?
    how to add user to a group on linux?