[lttng-dev] "Hands-free" tracepoints using LD_PRELOAD

Francis Deslauriers francis.deslauriers at efficios.com
Thu Jan 24 11:06:01 EST 2019

"

Le mer. 23 janv. 2019, à 19 h 20, Brian Rossa <br at f0cal.com> a écrit :

> Jonathan,

>> AFAIK, lttng does not have an equivalent.
>

> I believe my code could significantly reduce the need for hand-writing the tracepoints. But I won't likely take on a port to LTTng immediately, as a "vanilla" interposition approach seems to be meeting my requirements.
>

>> > Step #2 is particularly problematic due to
>> > ambiguities in the mangling grammar, and will need support going forward to
>> > generalize well.
>>
>> What is the status of this step in your project?
>

> I demangle the symbol name using c++filt and then use regex to extract the list of argument types. Using something like ItaniumPartialDemangler would be better.

Hi Brian,

If you have a list of the argument types, you can programmatically
generate the tracepoint descriptions and callsites accordingly. The
main blocker I see here is tracing arguments that are pointers to
classes or containers. We need to be able to map each argument with a
CTF type [1]. It's easy enough for int, float and char * but it's
harder for complex structs and data structures.

You mentioned that you wrap structures with ostreams to output them in
text format. Can you explain this a bit more?

Here are a few ideas:

#First idea
If you are already defining the printing format and order of each of
the fields of each structures in your libfoo.so maybe you could do the
same but in LTTng-UST format. See "my-custom-structure.h" example [2].

#Second idea:
If you prefer not convert those ostreams wrappers to ctf wrapper, you
could reuse them to generate CTF_STRINGs.
1. Simple data types (int, float, char*) are mapped directly to CTF types,
2. Complex data types are wrapped with ostream function,
3. Complex data types are saved in the trace as CTF_STRING using the ostream.
All this could be done by the boilerplate scripts I mentioned earlier.
By using string format for some argument, you don't get the full power
of LTTng but it will still be faster that saving everything in text.

#Third idea:
Do you know of tracef() [3] ? Using it, you can save any string to a
UST trace. As a first step, you could directly replace your calls to
spdlog by calls to tracef. It's an highly inefficient way of using
LTTng, but it works (and probably lower overhead than writing to a
file).

[1]: https://lttng.org/man/3/lttng-ust/v2.10/
[2]: https://lttng.org/docs/v2.10/#doc-defining-tracepoints
[3]: https://lttng.org/docs/v2.10/#doc-tracef