[lttng-dev] "Hands-free" tracepoints using LD_PRELOAD
br at f0cal.com
Fri Jan 18 14:05:30 EST 2019
I have a custom tracing solution that I'm interested in porting to LTTng.
It works as follows:
1. Input is a whitelist of mangled names taken from a target library,
2. For each name, generate a logging shim (example
<https://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7795>) for the corresponding call.
3. Compile all the logging shims into a shared library, libshim.so.
4. Trace any application using libfoo by running it as
There are two nice things about this approach that I would like to preserve:
- The shim developer only needs to provide the whitelist and a bit of
extra annotation. From there, the shim can be be authored using a
- The app developer doesn't have to do anything other than pass the
The downside is that the only tracepoints are those corresponding to the
whitelist, but I'm fine with that.
Can this kind of "hands-free" developer experience be supported by LTTng?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the lttng-dev