[lttng-dev] RCU consistency guarantees

Yuxin Ren ryx at gwmail.gwu.edu
Fri Dec 6 09:51:32 EST 2019

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 5:49 AM Mathieu Desnoyers <
mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com> wrote:

> ----- On Dec 5, 2019, at 8:17 PM, Yuxin Ren <ryx at gwmail.gwu.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I am a student, and learning RCU now, but still know very little about it.
> Are there any documents/papers/materials which (in)formally define and
> explain RCU consistency guarantees?
>

> You may want to have a look at
>
> User-Level Implementations of Read-Copy Update
> Article in IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems 23(2):375
> - 382 · March 2012

Thanks for your info.
However, I do not think URCU talks about any consistency model formally.

>From previous communication with Paul, he said RCU is not
designed for linearizability, and it is totally acceptable that RCU is
not linearizable.
However, I am curious how to accurately/formally Characterize RCU
consistency model/guarantees