[lttng-dev] User Space Tracing

John O'Sullivan John.OSullivan at BlackBox.com
Thu Sep 27 12:13:37 EDT 2018

I am really struggling trying to get user space tracing working predictably and consistently and would appreciate some help.

I created a trace event called

kvm_server:new_connection_tracepoint (see attached), I then use lttng-gen-tp to generate the .c and .h files which I link to the program and call with

tracepoint(kvm_server, new_connection_tracepoint, .................)

This appears predictably in my traces

However if I call my second tracepoint (see attached)

tracepoint(resolution_management, resolution_management_tracepoint,.......)

It never appears in any of the traces

I can see no significant difference between the two definitions.

I then created a third trace definition called simple_example (see attached)

tracepoint(simple_example, simple_example_tracepoint, .....)

This again appears in the trace

I start the tracing using

lttng enable-event -u -a      # enable user-space tracing

I then use babel trace to dump the trace,

'kvm_server' and 'simple_example' appear in the trace,  resolution_management does not.

Any idea why the resolution_management tracepoint does not appear in any traces or is there some way of debugging the tracecall macro itself?

regards

John

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended for the sole use of the individual to whom they are addressed. Black Box Corporation reserves the right to scan all e-mail traffic for restricted content and to monitor all e-mail in general. If you are not the intended recipient or you have received this email in error, any use, dissemination or forwarding of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by replying to this email.