[lttng-dev] Correct way to use the tpl file

John O'Sullivan John.OSullivan at BlackBox.com
Fri Nov 30 12:30:06 EST 2018

Hi Mathieu,
Thank you for the reply and my apologies for the confusion. Let me try and clarify.

I understood that the use of the class and instance concepts in the tpl file was to be able to declare a class with as you say a number of fields and then create instances of that class that provided a way of defining specific variants of that class.

For example
TRACEPOINT_EVENT_CLASS(
    /* Tracepoint provider name */
    core_event_trace,

    /* Tracepoint class name */
    core_event_tracepoint_class,

/* Input arguments */
    TP_ARGS(
      int, event_type
     int, second_field
     int, third_field
     int, fourth_field
    ),

    /* Output event fields */
    TP_FIELDS(
        ctf_integer(int, event_type, event_type)
        ctf_integer(int, second_field, second_field)
       ctf_integer(int, third_field, third_field)
    )
)

Then we declare an instance

TRACEPOINT_EVENT_INSTANCE(
    core_event_trace,
    core_event_tracepoint_class,
    first_event_tracepoint,
    TP_ARGS(
      int, event_type
      Int, first_field

    )
)

And a second one

TRACEPOINT_EVENT_INSTANCE(
    core_event_trace,
    core_event_tracepoint_class,
    second_event_tracepoint,
    TP_ARGS(
      int, event_type
      Int, second_field

    )
)

So the two instances do not define all of the fields in the class definition, the first only defines first_field and the second only defines second_field, will this work or do the field in the instance always have to match the fields in the class?