[lttng-dev] Probleme with live session on LTTng 2.7.0

Jonathan Rajotte-Julien jonathan.rajotte-julien at efficios.com
Fri Jun 8 11:19:54 EDT 2018

Hi Thierry,

See -> https://lttng.org/docs/v2.10/#doc-lttng-live

Note that this is the documentation for lttng stable 2.10. Not 2.7, still it is as I recall pretty much unchanged since

This should look like this for you.

On the 192.168.0.1 host:

lttng-relayd -vvv --control-port='tcp://0.0.0.0:5342' --data-port='tcp://0.0.0.0:5343' --live-port='tcp://localhost:5344'

If you plan on using the 5342,5344 and localhost:5344 ports, you can start lttng-relayd without these options since they are the default values.
Otherwise change those values.

Note that for the 5342 and 5343 ports the lttng-relayd process listen on all interfaces, the live port is only accessible from the loopback interface (locally).
Hence, for this particular configuration only a Babeltrace running on the 192.168.0.1 host will be able to connect to lttng-relayd to get "live" data.

The "-vvv" option put lttng-relayd in verbose mode. Just in case we need to do more serious investigation.

At that point you can use netcat (nc) to test each port from the target side if you find it necessary. You should see activity on connection in the lttng-relayd logs.

On the target:

For the sake of knowing what is going on and get some verbose data if something does not go according to plan, you can start lttng-sessiond in verbose mode.

In a separate shell (running with sudo to get kernel tracing):
sudo lttng-sessiond -vvv

In another shell (considering your user is either root or in the tracing group):

lttng create my_session_name --set-url='net://192.168.0.1:5342:5343' --live
lttng enable-channel ... (your channel configuration if needed)
lttng enable-event ... (your specific event)
lttng start

On the 192.168.0.1 host:

You should be able to list the live session from lttng-relayd using the following:

babeltrace -i lttng-live net://localhost

>From the output of the last command you get the complete path that you need to use to actually connect Babeltrace to the live session.

babeltrace -i lttng-live net://localhost/host/<your hostname>/<session-name>

You should now see event coming in.

Hope this help.

Cheers