[lttng-dev] Issues compiling User Space Tracing examples from documentation

John O'Sullivan John.OSullivan at BlackBox.com
Tue Jul 17 10:37:06 EDT 2018

Hi ,
I am trying to use some user space tracing, following the example shown here:
https://lttng.org/docs/v2.10/
In the section Trace a user application, I am using the sample provided
--------------------------
hello-tp.h

#undef TRACEPOINT_PROVIDER
#define TRACEPOINT_PROVIDER hello_world

#undef TRACEPOINT_INCLUDE
#define TRACEPOINT_INCLUDE "./hello-tp.h"

#if !defined(_HELLO_TP_H) || defined(TRACEPOINT_HEADER_MULTI_READ)
#define _HELLO_TP_H

#include <lttng/tracepoint.h>

TRACEPOINT_EVENT(
    hello_world,
    my_first_tracepoint,
    TP_ARGS(
        int, my_integer_arg,
        char*, my_string_arg
    ),
    TP_FIELDS(
        ctf_string(my_string_field, my_string_arg)
        ctf_integer(int, my_integer_field, my_integer_arg)
    )
)

#endif /* _HELLO_TP_H */

#include <lttng/tracepoint-event.h>
-------------------------

With
------------------------------
hello-tp.c

#define TRACEPOINT_CREATE_PROBES
#define TRACEPOINT_DEFINE

#include "hello-tp.h"
--------------------

As soon as I compile

gccarm -c -I <path to my includes>  hello-tp.c
In file included from hello-tp.h:27:0,
                 from hello-tp.c:4:
/...../usr/include/lttng/tracepoint-event.h:56:28: fatal error: ./hello-tp.h: No such file or directory
 #include TRACEPOINT_INCLUDE
                            ^
compilation terminated.

I am cross compiling for arm using a buildroot based environment.
Any suggestions?

regards

John O'Sullivan

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended for the sole use of the individual to whom they are addressed. Black Box Corporation reserves the right to scan all e-mail traffic for restricted content and to monitor all e-mail in general. If you are not the intended recipient or you have received this email in error, any use, dissemination or forwarding of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by replying to this email.