[lttng-dev] RFC: lttng-module: how to track the link between host and guest traces

Genevieve Bastien gbastien+lttng at versatic.net
Mon Jan 29 16:32:17 UTC 2018

Hi all,

Here included is a conversation I had on the kvm mailing list regarding
how to link traces from host and guests when tracing virtual
environments. Following Stefan's last suggestions, here is a suggestion
on what can be done in lttng-modules, it's not intrusive and does not
require modifications to the kernel. Let me know what you think:

* If we want to trace guests _and_ host and linek them together, we
require to set the VM's -uuid parameter. I think virsh does that by
default anyway.

    - We can then obtain this uuid in lttng via
dmi_get_system_info(DMI_PRODUCT_UUID). We can add it to a statedump
event, or in the 'env' section of the metadata (which might be easier to
manager and does not require activating an additional event).

* Guest statedump: on host, we can access the guests by parsing the
struct dentry* kvm_debugfs_dir for entries with the <pid>-xx format. We
can then parse the /proc/<pid>/cmdline to obtain the uuid and associate
it to the guest.

* Guest lifetime during the trace: We can add a lttng-module that adds a
udev rule to intercept VM creation/destruction. We can trace those
events, adding the pid/uuid in the fields.

What do you think of this approach?

Thanks,

Geneviève