[lttng-dev] Babeltrace performance issue in live-reading mode

liguang li liguang.lee6 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 09:12:36 UTC 2017

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 10:57 PM, Jonathan Rajotte-Julien <
jonathan.rajotte-julien at efficios.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 03:53:27PM +0800, liguang li wrote:
> >    Hi,
> >    On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 11:18 PM, Jonathan Rajotte-Julien
> >    <[1]jonathan.rajotte-julien at efficios.com> wrote:
> >
> >      Hi,
> >      On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 11:32:07AM +0800, liguang li wrote:
> >      >    Hi,
> >      >
> >      >    Create a session in live-reading mode, run a application which
> >      having very
> >      >    high event throughput, then prints
> >      >    the events with babeltrace. We found the live trace viewer are
> >      viewing
> >      >    events a few seconds ago, and as time
> >
> >      Could you provide us the version used for babeltrace, lttng-tools
> and
> >      lttng-ust?
> >
> >     Babeltrace: 1.5.1
>
> Update to babeltrace 1.5.3.
>
> >     Lttng-tools: 2.8.6
>
> Update to lttng-tools 2.8.8
>
> >     Lttng-ust: 2.8.2
> >
> >      >    goes on, the delay will be bigger and bigger.
> >
> >      A similar issues was observed a couple months ago, which implicated
> >      multiple delayed ack
> >      problems during communication between lttng-relayd and babeltrace.
> >
> >      The following fixes were merged:
> >
> >      [1]
> >      [2]https://github.com/lttng/lttng-tools/commit/
> b6025e9476332b75eb8184345c3eb3e924780088
> >      [2]
> >      [3]https://github.com/efficios/babeltrace/commit/
> de417d04317ca3bc30f59685a9d19de670e4b11d
> >      [3]
> >      [4]https://github.com/efficios/babeltrace/commit/
> 4594dbd8f7c2af2446a3e310bee74ba4a2e9d648
> >
> >      In the event that you are already using an updated version of
> babeltrace
> >      and
> >      lttng-tools, it would be pertinent to provide us with a simple
> >      reproducer so we
> >      can assess the issue.
>
> The version you are using does not include the mentioned fixes. Please
> update
> and redo your experiment.

Test this issue in the version you have listed, the issue still exists.

> Cheers
>

> >     Steps:
> >     lttng create session --live -U net://*
> >     lttng enable-channel -s session -u ch1
> >     lttng enable-event -s session -c ch1 -u -a
> >     lttng start
> >
> >     Run a high event throughput application, which is multithreaded
> >    application.

In the multithreaded application, each tracepoint will have the wall
time of the system,then we can easily reproduce this issue through
comparing the time of recorded event and the system wall time.

> >     babeltrace -i lttng-live net://*
> >
> >     After a while, we found the timestamp of the event in the babeltrace
> is
> >    different with the time in host
> >     which run the application. And the delay will be bigger and bigger
> with
> >    time goes.
> >

> >      Cheers
> >      >    I checked the source code, found Babeltrace in live-reading
> mode
> >      will read
> >      >    the recorded events in the CTF
> >      >    files, and then parse and print it in a single thread. The
> process
> >      is a
> >      >    little slow, do you have any ideas to
> >      >    improve the process.
>

>From my understanding of the source code, the process of parse and
print event will consume a lot of time. For example, the multithreaded
application will consume 3 CPUs, in a specified time,3 subbuffers will
be filled and sent to lttng-relayd daemon, recorded into the CTF files.
If in the specified time, babeltrace only handled 2 subbuffers' event,
thenthe issue will happens.