[lttng-dev] How to user perf probes and module tracepoints in lttng

avkumar anilzoom at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 21:10:38 UTC 2017

Perf probes:
How can we add the dynamic trace points created by perf probe into lttng?
When I add the perf probe as kprobe type I get missing tracepoint error, If
I add the perf probe as tracepoint , Lttng does not complain but it does
not collect any data when the tracepoint is hit.

perf probe -l
  probe:tcp_gro        (on tcp_gro_receive at net/ipv4/tcp_offload.c with addr
len)

lttng enable-event -k --probe=tcp_gro
Error: Missing event name(s).

When I add it as a trace point

lttng enable-event -k probe:tcp_gro
Kernel event probe:tcp_gro created in channel channel0]

it does not give any error but no data is collected

Module tracepoints:
I created module tracepoints in the kernel and compiled the trace points.
The header file is in the driver module directory. When I write the
adaptation layer for lttng, it does not compile as it is not able to fien
the header file. I have given fill path name to the header file and still
it does not work.

Thanks