[lttng-dev] Allocation failures with babeltrace and TraceCompass - corrupt trace?

Thomas McGuire thomas.mcguire at kdab.com
Wed Jun 14 15:55:57 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 14.06.2017 17:12, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> Can you provide a copy of the metadata file ? And ideally the data
> streams too ? This would give us a better idea of what is happening.
>
> Do you perform kernel or user-space tracing ? Do you trace huge
> sequences of bytes within your own tracepoints ?

I perform kernel traceing only, in this case limited to syscalls,
sched*, block* and irq*. No user-space tracepoints.

I didn't know the metadata file was plain text, I had a quick look into
it and noticed corruption already, with random garbage data inserted all
over the place. I'm surprised babeltrace didn't choke on the metadata
already.
I can not provide the data file as it has confidential data. Looking at
it with a hex editor, I see the same kind of garbage as in the metadata
file, so both files are affected by the same problem.

I've uploaded the metadata file to
http://www.kdab.com/~thomas/stuff/metadata.

To double-check that it isn't file system corruption, I ran "yes >
test.data" - that file is OK, so it's probably a different problem.

Any idea what can cause the corrupted trace?

Regards,
Thomas
--
Thomas McGuire | thomas.mcguire at kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer