[lttng-dev] lttng questions

Philippe Proulx eeppeliteloop at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 20:24:15 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 3:05 PM, Nalin Pai <nalinpai at gmail.com> wrote:
> More questions.
>
> I notice that filter expression parser does not validate to check if the
> field-name in the expression is valid or whether the expression value is
> consistent with the field type (e.g check that expression value is integer
> if field type is integer). Are there any plans of stricter checking of
> expressions? If the user makes a mistake while typing out the expression is
> there any feedback to indicate the error?

It cannot be indicated to the user at event rule creation time
(lttng enable-event) because future events could match an event rule
you create now.

When a field's type is not what it should be according to the event
rule's filter expression, then the whole filter expression evaluates to
0 (false), thus the whole event rule is considered not satisfied.

> Thanks,
> Nalin
>
> On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 10:11 AM, Nalin Pai <nalinpai at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for your answers. I have a question on event filters. We will be
>> representing IPv6 addresses as arrays of bytes. We would like to be able to
>> filter on IPv6 address fields. Does lttng filtering on arrays and sequences?
>> If yes, then what's the filter expression format for this.

This is an upcoming feature, probably part of 2.11, but I could be wrong
(about the version).

Phil