[lttng-dev] URCU binary search tree

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Fri Dec 15 17:27:41 UTC 2017

----- On Dec 15, 2017, at 3:30 AM, Navin Agrawal <anavin at gmail.com> wrote:

> One quick question Mathieu on the below note of yours.

>> Note that I do _not_ consider my propotype branch to be production-ready.

> Can we assume that the code is functionally working in all known scenarios? I am
> trying to warm up work folks about URCU. Hence I am planning a demo using your
> RB tree code.

The code passed all tests when I stopped developing this branch. However, I did not
feel confident that I understood all corner-cases thoroughly enough to merge the code
into liburcu master branch.

So if things don't work as expected, it may take a lot of effort to understand why.

That's why this development branch is provided "as is",

Mathieu

> Thanks
> Navin

> On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 9:48 AM, Navin Agrawal < [ mailto:anavin at gmail.com |
> anavin at gmail.com ] > wrote:

>> Thanks Mathieu. Will check out your implementation.

>> Regards
>> Navin

>> On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 1:35 AM, Mathieu Desnoyers < [
>> mailto:mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com | mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com ] >
>> wrote:

>>> Hi,

>>> I did a URCU rbtree prototype branch around 2011, but it's not pretty, and it's
>>> complex.

>>> I went in a different direction afterward, and did a RCU Judy Array prototype
>>> instead.

>>> ​​
>>> The basic problem with rbtree is that there will always be some form of
>>> higher contention on the nodes near the top.

>>> Anyway, the branch is there:

>>> [ http://git.lttng.org/?p=userspace-rcu.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/rbtree2 |
>>> http://git.lttng.org/?p=userspace-rcu.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/rbtree2 ]

>>> See this Linux Plumbers Conference presentation introducing it:

>>> [ http://www.efficios.com/pub/lpc2011/Presentation-lpc2011-desnoyers-urcu.pdf |
>>> http://www.efficios.com/pub/lpc2011/Presentation-lpc2011-desnoyers-urcu.pdf ]

>>> ​​
>>> Note that I do _not_ consider my propotype branch to be production-ready.

>>> Enjoy!

>>> Mathieu