[lttng-dev] sdt.h tracepoints with unicode data and/or structs

Milian Wolff milian.wolff at kdab.com
Thu Sep 22 12:47:08 UTC 2016

On Wednesday, September 21, 2016 6:09:15 PM CEST Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> ----- On Sep 20, 2016, at 4:34 PM, Milian Wolff milian.wolff at kdab.com wrote:
> > On Montag, 12. September 2016 16:24:04 CEST Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> >> ----- On Sep 12, 2016, at 11:40 AM, Milian Wolff milian.wolff at kdab.com

> >> The lttng-ust tracepoint mechanism comes from the design of the
> >> Linux kernel tracepoints, which have proven to be unnoticeable
> >> when disabled. There is one slight technicality though:
> >>
> >> The linux kernel tracepoints use the asm goto mechanism and code patching
> >> to flip between a no-op and a jump to dynamically enable each tracepoint.
> >> This is all very fine for the kernel.
> >>
> >> Now for user-space, the lttng-ust tracepoints rather use a conditional
> >> branch to skip over the entire stack setup and the function call. There
> >> are a few reasons for using a old-fashioned conditional branch: first,
> >> there are no widely adopted multi-core, live code patching library
> >> available in user-space that am I aware of. Second, even if we would
> >> have one, we may not want to send SIGSTOP/SIGCONT to the traced process,
> >> due to debugger interactions. Thirdly, doing code patching may not
> >> interact will security features such as read-only code sections and
> >> code checksumming. Finally, doing code patching of library and
> >> executable code will trigger copy-on-write of the touched pages, which
> >> will prevent sharing those pages between processes running the same
> >> apps/libraries. All in all, the conditional branch does not seem like
> >> a too bad alternative after all.
> >>
> >> If we look at the code generated by SystemTAP sdt.h probes (as well
> >> as DTrace), they are actually more heavyweight than what has been
> >> claimed by Sun's marketing department back in the days: it does
> >> cost a stack setup of all the variables passed to the the probe,
> >> and indeed the function call is no-op'd.
> >>
> >> The downside here is that all side-effects, and layout of the arguments
> >> for the no-op'd call, are taken by the instrumented application, even
> >> though tracing is not dynamically enabled.
> >>
> >> Therefore, the SDT mechanism is not a lightweight as is generally
> >> claimed. It is not "just a single no-op per site", but rather a
> >> function call stack setup and a no-op.
> >
> > Thanks a lot for the in-depth explanation Mathieu, much appreciated! From
> > what I gather, sdt.h does allow to check whether a given trace point is
> > enabled or not, no? I.e. via the semaphores. Is there any performance
> > difference between checking the semaphore of a sdt.h tracepoint vs. doing
> > the analogous check for lttng-ust tracepoints?
>
> Not sure what you refer to about "semaphores". And it's unclear how you
> define "checking if active": is it to decide in the fast path whether to
> trace or not, or in a slow path to query what is currently active ?

The fast path to check whether to trace or not:

$ cat probes.d
provider milian {
    probe test();
};
$ dtrace -C -h -s probes.d -o probes.h
$ cat probes.h
/* Generated by the Systemtap dtrace wrapper */

#define _SDT_HAS_SEMAPHORES 1

#define STAP_HAS_SEMAPHORES 1 /* deprecated */

#include <sys/sdt.h>

/* MILIAN_TEST ( ) */
#if defined STAP_SDT_V1
#define MILIAN_TEST_ENABLED() __builtin_expect (test_semaphore, 0)
#define milian_test_semaphore test_semaphore
#else
#define MILIAN_TEST_ENABLED() __builtin_expect (milian_test_semaphore, 0)
#endif
__extension__ extern unsigned short milian_test_semaphore __attribute__
((unused)) __attribute__ ((section (".probes")));
#define MILIAN_TEST() \
DTRACE_PROBE (milian, test)

--
Milian Wolff | milian.wolff at kdab.com | Software Engineer