[lttng-dev] Beginner question: how to inspect scheduling of multi-threaded user application?

David Aldrich David.Aldrich at EMEA.NEC.COM
Fri Sep 16 11:43:45 UTC 2016

Hi

I wonder if I might ask for some more guidance please?

I now have lttng and Trace Compass running on Ubuntu.  I want to inspect the scheduling of threads in my user-space application.  So far, I have successfully captured a trace with the sched_switch event enabled:

$ sudo lttng enable-event -k sched_switch

This indeed shows my app's threads.  However, it also shows all the other threads in the system and does not show clearly (to my understanding) when the threads are scheduled / blocked.

I would like some guidance on how to improve this tracing.

1) Would it be better if I defined my own “tracepoint providers” and then set trace events for when a thread wakes / blocks?

2) How could I show which core a thread is running on?

Best regards

David