[lttng-dev] Babeltrace python bindings documentation is no up-to-date

Jean Spector jean.spector at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 20:02:55 UTC 2016

Thank you Philippe.

Adding a different documentation page for older versions (it's the latest
package on RHEL 7.2 - so I'd expect more newbies to encounter this issue)
could help anyone trying the Python bindings for the first time.
I'm sure you realize that trying the official example and failing can be
quite frustrating and could turn off potential users. This is especially
true if it comes after other issues(let me know if you'd prefer these to be
sent in separate emails):

RHEL 7.2 uses python 3.4, but babeltrace-python-1.2.4 requires python 3.3,
which is not available anymore - at least not out of the box.
Again, I've solved the issue for myself, so it's not a support call. The
idea is that it would be great if the initial install+run stage was made
less painful.
I believe it would increase the user base as, for instance, I was on the
verge of giving up after building from source has also failed for me.

When trying to build from latest stable source (1.4.0) on RHEL 7.2, I've
encountered a couple of issues:

   1. configure would fail on popt. "ln -s /usr/lib64/libpopt.so.0
   /usr/lib64/libpopt.so" worked around the issue, but there must be a better
   way (or a line in the README).
   2. "python3 -c 'import babeltrace'" would fail with "ImportError:
   /usr/local/lib64/python3.4/site-packages/babeltrace/_nativebt.so: undefined
   symbol: PyInstance_Type"

That's where I gave up trying to build from source. It could be due to the
same python 3.4 - but it's just a guess.

To recap, I see 3 issues here:

   1. Documentation - any platform
   2. Install of the latest  babeltrace-python (1.2.4) - RHEL 7.2
   3. Building from the latest stable source (1.4.0) - RHEL 7.2

In any case, thanks for the great tool. I hope to put it to good use.
Jean