[lttng-dev] Problem with Babeltrace

Philippe Proulx eeppeliteloop at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 17:13:57 UTC 2016

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 11:35 AM, Simon Marchi <simark at simark.ca> wrote:
> On 2016-10-24 11:31, Nathan Lynch wrote:
>>
>> On 10/24/2016 03:30 AM, Tim Tannert wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> everytime when I start babeltrace:
>>> *babeltrace --version*
>>>
>>> or
>>> *lttng view
>>>
>>> *I'll get following message:
>>> babeltrace: symbol lookup error: babeltrace: undefined symbol:
>>> opt_debug_info_full_path
>>>

>> Seems your babeltrace installation is missing the ctf-text shared
>> object, which is where that symbol is defined.
>>
>> Please folow up to the list with the version of babeltrace you are
>> using, and describe how it was installed (e.g. built from source or
>> using distribution package).
>

> It would also be good to verify that you don't have multiple version of
> babeltrace installed.  For example, an older version installed by the
> package manager in /usr and a hand-compiled one in /usr/local.  Executing
> the binary from /usr/local/bin/babeltrace could somehow load the shared
> library from /usr/lib, or vice-versa.

This would only be true if the Babeltrace libraries are removed from
/usr/local/lib afterwards, but keeping /usr/local/bin/babeltrace,
because as far as I know, unless the distribution's package somehow
removes it, the executable is built with an explicit RPATH to locate its
own libraries, and this is the first place libraries are searched for.

Hence having multiple installations of Babeltrace is usually not a
problem, unless you mess with the file system manually.

Phil