[lttng-dev] sdt.h tracepoints with unicode data and/or structs

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Tue Oct 4 15:36:48 UTC 2016

----- On Sep 22, 2016, at 8:56 AM, Milian Wolff milian.wolff at kdab.com wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 21, 2016 5:22:35 PM CEST Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
>> ----- On Sep 20, 2016, at 7:22 PM, Philippe Proulx eeppeliteloop at gmail.com

>> > As Mathieu wrote, the overhead of disabled LTTng-UST tracepoints is pretty
>> > much unnoticeable. You can use the tracepoint_enabled() and
>> > do_tracepoint()
>> > macros to perform some computation, conversions, and prepare stuff
>> > specifically for the payload of the event.

>> > There's no way to support UTF-16 as of the current versions of LTTng and
>> > CTF. Even if you find a way to store the string as is, for example using a
>> > sequence of bytes, the existing CTF viewers and analyzers won't recognize
>> > the field as a string.
>> >
>> > However we could think about a way to support UTF-16 in the future, and
>> > possibly other Unicode encodings too.

>> > Yes, I see that this code is executed:
>> > <https://github.com/qt/qtbase/blob/dev/src/corelib/io/qurl.cpp#L3279>.
>> >
>> > You could allocate one tracepoint field for each individual attribute of
>> > the QUrl object, for example the scheme, the path, the query string, the
>> > fragment, etc. But I guess you'd still have the UTF-16 issue.

>> > I leave this part for Mathieu ;-).
>>
>> This "extra code" can be implemented within the tracepoint provider,
>> which is a cache cold function, not used at all when tracing is disabled.
>
> This sounds excellent. Can you tell me how? Could you maybe add an example to
> lttng-ust. Also note how http://lttng.org/man/3/lttng-ust/v2.7 says:
>
>	if (tracepoint_enabled(ust_tests_hello, tptest)) {
>		/* prepare arguments */
>		do_tracepoint(ust_tests_hello, tptest, i, netint, values,
>			text, strlen(text), dbl, flt);
>	}
>
> If I understood you correctly, then I could do something like
>
>	if (tracepoint_enabled(ust_tests_hello, tptest)) {
>		/* don't prepare arguments */
>		do_tracepoint(ust_tests_hello, my_complex_data);
>	}
>
> And then have the "prepare" code somewhere in my TRACEPOINT_EVENT?

Yes. Both approaches can be used.

Note that the second approach you refer to is the same as using a
plain tracepoint() macro and doing the preparation within
the TRACEPOINT_EVENT() macro.

The preparation within TRACEPOINT_EVENT() can currently only be
done as expression evaluation in the TP_FIELDS. LTTng-modules has
more flexibility in that respect, but not lttng-ust yet.

A patch contributing such example to lttng-ust would be welcome :)