[lttng-dev] [barectf] Building /w. Microsoft Visual Studio

Philippe Proulx eeppeliteloop at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 21:56:08 UTC 2016

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 1:25 PM, Philippe Proulx
<eeppeliteloop at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 12:17 PM, Jean-Francois MONESTIER
> <jean-francois.monestier at st.com> wrote:
>> Hello Tracers !
>>
>> I'm currently having hard times, trying to build a barectf-generated CTF
>> writer with Microsoft Visual Studio 2008.
>>
>> Problem resides in the .._bitfield.h file, macro
>> .._bt_bitfield_write_le( .. ) as __type__( .. ) is a gcc extension :
>>
>>   warning C4013: '__typeof__' undefined; assuming extern returning int
>>

> That's actually listed in the limitations of barectf (README file):
>
>     The current generated C code is not strictly C99 compliant:
>     statement expressions and the typeof keyword GCC extensions are used
>     in the generated bitfield macros. The generated C code is known to
>     be compiled with no warnings using both GCC and Clang.
>
>> Are there any M$ compatible bitfield macros/functions around here ? Or
>> am I on the way to port these myself ?
>>
>> For what I've seen, I'm only writing 8/16/32/64b data into my stream, so
>> that the macros should rewrite in a much more simpler way.
>
> Those macros expand to pretty much what you would expect when compiler
> optimizations are enabled.
>
> Can you try this branch?
>
>     pip3 install
> git+https://github.com/efficios/barectf@remove-gnu-dep --upgrade
> --force-reinstall
>
> I removed the dependency on __typeof__() and statement expressions,
> which are GNU extensions, however I know that MSVC does not support C99,
> so there might be other C99 stuff left in there.

I just tested with VS2010 with this branch as of a845de1 and it builds
and works! I'll wait for your response anyway as for VS2008. You can
also install from a Zip file that you download on GitHub,
<https://github.com/efficios/barectf/archive/remove-gnu-dep.zip>:

    pip3 install remove-gnu-dep.zip --upgrade --force-reinstall

Phil