[lttng-dev] "lttng enable-channel --tracefile-size" bug

Julien Desfossez jdesfossez at efficios.com
Sun May 29 19:48:33 UTC 2016

> Julien,
> thanks, I was mislead by the 2.7 documentation saying:
> "...parameters
> of |enable-channel| are |--tracefile-size|and |--tracefile-count|, which
> respectively limit the size of each trace file and the their count for a
> given channel. "
> In this case the tracefile-size option should be removed, will it become
> useful in the future releases or has a more subtle use?

No, the tracefile-size options does what it says, the limitation is that
the smallest unit it can work with is the subbuf-size. So the smallest
tracefile size you can have is the subbuf-size.

If you are using 4k subbuffers and you limit the size of the tracefiles
to 4M, then you will have at most 1000 full packets in each tracefile.
But if you have subbuffers of 8M, the smallest tracefile size you can
have is 8M.

Julien