[lttng-dev] scale numbers for LTTNG

Vijay Anand vjanandr85 at gmail.com
Tue May 24 06:01:02 UTC 2016

Hello Folks,

We have been evaluating LTTNG for use in our production systems for user
space tracing. We have evaluated most of the features supported by LTTNG
and very much see a value add LTTNG brings into our debugging
infrastructure.

   - Our current requirement is to trace Userspace programs running on
   linux.
   - Each of the linux processes define their own tracepoint providers.
   - We would like to trace event histories of each process independently.
   - We could potentially have 1000s of such processes running
   simultaneously.
   - We concluded on using a session/channel to trace one tracepoint
   provider corresponding to a unique process.
      - But I understand we could also create one system wide session and
      use channels to trace each of the providers. Either of the
approaches seems
      to work for us.
   - But upon evaluating I see that we could create only 25 active
   process-sessions and not traces from all the processes are logged.
      - Please note I have tried increasing the buffer size and the number
      of buffers. This doesn't help.
      - Each of the process trace 52 events at and interval of 1 second
      each.
   - I have evaluated this with lttng in session,live and snapshot modes
   and I have not been getting favourable.

Could you folks share the scale numbers that LTTNG supports, especially
when it comes to tracing user space programs ?

Regards,
Vijay
​​