[lttng-dev] CTF semantics

Milian Wolff milian.wolff at kdab.com
Tue Jun 14 11:09:40 UTC 2016

Hey all,

I have looked through the CTF specification and ponder using it to replace my
custom text-based output format of heaptrack.

At this stage, I have a fundamental question: How do the existing viewers like
Trace Compass understand the semantics of the data? Or are the viewers not
generic but instead rely on the existing generators like lttng? How does one
know e.g. what the backtrace of a given event is?

In heaptrack's current format heavily interns data to greatly reduce the file
size of the output data. This is crucial, and can be done with minimal
overhead. So I'd like to do the same if and when I convert to using CTF. But
how would e.g. know how to interpret that an integer member of a struct
actually is an index into a list of backtraces?

Thanks
--
Milian Wolff | milian.wolff at kdab.com | Software Engineer
Tel: +49-30-521325470