[lttng-dev] LTTng user mode performance observation

Michel Dagenais michel.dagenais at polymtl.ca
Thu Jun 2 13:10:33 UTC 2016

Here is a short answer to start. Others will have more precise suggestions.

Something that can seriously affect the performance is what is used to obtain information such as the timestamp and possibly the CPU id. More details on your platform would help in that respect. The second thing is that UST is flexible (many parameters can be changed / activated at run time) and robust (reentrant, can be used from within signals) which adds a cost in terms of structure and memory barriers. A high performance mode with restrictions on its use has been discussed in the past but the speed difference is not necessarily that great, typically much lower than the impact of selecting an efficient source for timestamps.

----- Mail original -----