[lttng-dev] Tracing/Profiling boot

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Fri Feb 26 13:01:19 EST 2016

Hi Martin,

I would say that the main advantages of using LTTng in this case
would be on the tooling side, with availability of Trace Compass
and LTTng Analyses projects to navigate in the resulting CTF
traces, and get high-level overview of the various metrics that
could slow down your system.

LTTng would also allow you to correlate your kernel trace with
a user-space trace gathered with lttng-ust, which gives you
deeper insight into your applications.

----- On Feb 26, 2016, at 3:41 AM, Martin Townsend <mtownsend1973 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mathieu,
> Thanks for the info, I didn't know about ftrace, I will take a look at this.

> Out of interest would there be any benefits from using a built-in lttng module
> over ftrace?

> Cheers,
> Martin.

> On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 9:18 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers <
> mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com > wrote:

>> Hi Martin,

>> The main limitation LTTng currently has for early boot tracing is that
>> you need to first spawn a lttng-sessiond user-space process, and setup
>> tracing, before you can actually do any tracing. As long as you can
>> fit within those constraints, you should be OK.

>> If you really want to trace earlier than that, you might have to create
>> a dedicated early-boot tracing module that would setup tracing
>> buffers into a "dummy" session which exists only within lttng-modules,
>> and then allow sessiond to later hook on those buffers when user-space
>> is ready. Nothing exists for this at the moment. Note that since
>> lttng-modules master (upcoming 2.8), you can now build lttng-modules
>> into your kernel image, this might be useful for you. See the "kernel
>> built-in support" section in
>> https://github.com/lttng/lttng-modules/blob/master/README.md

>> Since LTTng 2.0, we have left early boot tracing to other tools, such
>> as Ftrace, which target kernel developers use-cases, and focused
>> more on tracing of the system in its execution phases which are more
>> relevant to application developers.

>> If you want to go ahead and create a LTTng modules module that
>> allow early boot tracing, I'd be happy to provide ideas and review.

>> Thanks,

>> Mathieu

>> ----- On Feb 25, 2016, at 3:56 PM, Martin Townsend < mtownsend1973 at gmail.com >

>>> Hi,