[lttng-dev] Tracing a sequence of events through an application

Mark E. Dawson, Jr. medawsonjr at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 6 20:12:01 UTC 2016

All,
I'm wondering if this is something anyone has ever done before:
We have a financial trading application for which we'd like to trace the timing of a sequence of related events with low impact.  For example, tracing a market data feed packet from its reception on the NIC, to its processing in the Market Data portion of the code, and on & on via other layers of the application until it finally reaches the Order Execution portion of the code where it sends out an Order on the stock exchange.  We're wondering if there's a proven reference for using LTTng-UST to enable session tracing which would link related activities in this way, as opposed to just providing aggregate timestamps at various tracepoints within our code.
Has something like this ever been done before using LTTng-UST? If so, is there a reference available?