[lttng-dev] Beginner question: how to inspect scheduling of multi-threaded user application?

David Aldrich David.Aldrich at EMEA.NEC.COM
Wed Aug 24 07:17:36 UTC 2016

Hi

I am new to tracing in Linux and to lttng. I have a multi-threaded user application and I want to see:

1)      When the threads are scheduled to run

2)      Which cores the threads are running on.

I have installed lttng on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.  I am expecting to visualise the trace using TraceCompass.

I have read the following doc section:

http://lttng.org/docs/#doc-tracing-your-own-user-application

In order to collect my trace, must I define custom tracepoint definitions ( in a tracepoint provider header file ), and insert tracepoints into my user application, or is there a simpler way of achieving my goal?

Best regards

David