[lttng-dev] RCU on non-cache-coherent memory

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Tue Aug 2 22:58:57 UTC 2016

----- On Aug 1, 2016, at 8:30 PM, Yuxin Ren ryx at gwmail.gwu.edu wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there any research or publications about RCU on top of
> non-cache-coherent multi-core architecture?
> Not only RCU, any other synchronization technique on top of
> non-cache-coherent multi-core
> is also helpful.

CCing Paul E. McKenney, who might know more on this topic.

Back in 2009 when I started the liburcu.org project, I
planned to eventually add support for such architectures,
e.g. Blackfin, which is why I initially added the cmm_mc(),
cmm_rmc() and cmm_wmc() macros in the library (see
CONFIG_HAVE_MEM_COHERENCY). However, all currently implemented
architectures have mem coherency, so it's always defined as a
simple compiler barrier. See include/urcu/arch/generic.h in liburcu
for details.