[lttng-dev] Support for new arch 'ppc64le'

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Sun Sep 27 19:20:39 EDT 2015

----- On Mar 12, 2014, at 8:29 AM, Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com wrote:

> [...]

Hi,

I'm currently trying out userspace RCU on a POWER8, and I was wondering
why we use the "gcc" arch fallback for powerpc64le ?

Commit 3913336f0e states

"  Currently there are two fairly recent architectures, which at the
   moment can only be compiled with "gcc atomics" code path.
   The two new architectures are (GNU Types):
   * aarch64-linux-gnu (aka ARMv8, ARM64, AARCH64, etc)
   * powerpc64le-linux-gnu"

I tried changing "gcc" for "ppc" in configure.ac for powerpc64le,
and so far it seems to build and run fine. But considering the
commit message above, there seems to be some unidentified reason
for using the "gcc" fallback rather than the powerpc-specific
implementation of memory barriers and atomic ops in urcu.

Do you have further information on this ?