[lttng-dev] Can't get any event output from the demo exe [solved]

Alexandre Montplaisir alexmonthy at voxpopuli.im
Sun Mar 29 18:01:23 EDT 2015

On 15-03-27 07:00 AM, Wolfgang Rostek wrote:
> Hi Mathieu,
>
> weeks ago I did a different approach installing packages.
> That one I can't recap.

What I suspect happened here is that you installed some of the packages
from source using "make install", which copies the libraries in
/usr/local/lib/* .

*Then* you installed the packaged versions, which go in /usr/lib/*. But
the tricky part is that on Ubuntu and many other (most?) distros, the
ld.so.conf is configured to look in /usr/local/lib first for shared
libraries. If it finds a useable one, it loads that one and stops there.

In such a case, /usr/bin/lttng, installed from packages, would end up
using /usr/local/lib/liblttng-ust*.so, and so on. If both are not of the
exact same version, it can cause obscure problems like the one you had.

This is a very common source of problems in fact. I don't know of any
easy fix unfortunately, short of teaching people about library mangement
;) or bumping the soname of lttng-tools and UST's shared libraries every
release, to make sure non-compatible libraries are not loaded.

Cheers,
Alexandre